Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Wilkommen, Bienvenue!

Welcome to my blog. My name is Katie Stehn, and I've lived all over Iowa and also in Rochester, Minnesota. I've loved cooking my entire life; some of my earliest childhood memories are of "helping" my mom cook, perched on a barstool next to the counter. I remember how I loved cracking eggs. Ever since I was little, all I wanted was to have a little corner cafe or bistro to call my own. Even now, after a year of culinary school, my goals haven't changed. Hopefully, the time spent here at Indian Hills will sharpen my skills; I've really enjoyed it here. My instructor, Chef Gordon, is smart, funny, stern, kind, and he makes me want to do my best for him.

What I would most like to do, and I know I'll be eaten alive for being a naive idealist, is to make people happy with my cooking. I want to give my guests a reason to smile. Most people work all day, get treated like crap, and then slink home to lick their wounds before the next day begins. I want to give them a moment where they can sit and breathe and remember that they're human beings, with dignity. Everyone deserves to be well-treated, and as we've been taught in class, in a restaurant there are no customers: everyone is a guest.

I'm a born feeder, my mother is one as well so that must be where I get it from. I love preparing meals for people, it's how I perform. I remember one time before making Thanksgiving dinner for my friends from work, I could actually hear an orchestra tuning up in my head. Even when I was pretty broke, I still laid a good table. When I was home last weekend for Thanksgiving break, I stayed up until midnight making brioche for my little sister, a rabid bread-lover. All the while I was singing an advent song, "People look East, the time is near/for the turning of the year. Make your home fair as you are able/trim the hearth and set the table. People look East and sing today/Love, the guest, is on the way". I think of it as a blessing for the kitchen, I've even sung it quietly in class.

More to come soon! Keep checking back!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Great blog K! I'm glad to see the updates and you know I enjoy your writing! I check in every evening once things get settled here at the compound.

Keep adding that content!!

Katie said...

In here, life is beautiful, the girls are beautiful, even the orchestra is beautiful! I am your host! :-)

This is a great way to make the best of my love for writing, my internet addiction, and my reclusive tendencies.