Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Facepalm moments...

I was in the library today, checking out "The French Laundry" cookbook. Even amid my anticipation, however, it could not escape my attention that the book right next to it was by (dun dun dun!) Rachel Ray. That's like putting Britney Spears next to Janis Joplin, like putting NSync next to the Beatles! Then, as if that wasn't enough, when I checked it out, I was given an additional warning of "Now those new books are very expensive, so try not to ruin it..." What am I, 5? Do I look like I'm about to get peanut butter on the pages? It's brand new, it's Thomas Keller, I intend on taking very good care of it. I had just expressed how happy I was to get all these new books in the library for the culinary students, and I get treated like a baby. How are we supposed to take ourselves seriously if no one else does?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Well, I take you seriously and you have to take into consideration how many students don't appreciate the value of a new book. As we get older we tend to look at a particular group and assume the same trends affect the whole.

Now, I would have been vociferous in regards to my particular philosophy about the book in question to help the offending source take a new look at her clients sense of concern and appreciation for what the library offers. Diplomatically, of course...:)

Great work today and I'm glad to see an image of the presentation here on your site! You're staring to really cut loose in the style development department! Keep it up!

Anonymous said...

Heh. I have never quite understood why they make cookbooks so pristine when they're going to be used in kitchens... I have several expensive recipe books and haven't dared use them yet for fear of covering them in butter...

Anonymous said...

I was wondering if you would ever be interested in becoming a featured publisher with Foodbuzz.com? If so please conctact me at lizstambaugh@yahoo.com