Thursday, December 4, 2008

Baby, it's cold outside!

As much as I hate to admit it, part of me loves this time of year. The feelings, the foods, it all comes together, and if only for a short while we all become children again. Yes, last winter was rough, we got so much snow I was sick to death of it, and I know it's probably going to be more of the same this year; but then this year when we got the first snowfall, I just sat and watched in silent thrill. There is beauty in everything, we only need to look for it.

When it comes to church, I'm generally non-practicing, but I always make it to Christmas Eve Mass. That still has a special place for me. I can feel the surge of happiness, of goodwill, the seasonal outpouring of generosity (why can't we have that more than once a year?), and my favorite: Adeste Fideles, in Latin. Now at Catholic Mass, during the rest of the year the singing isn't exactly...heartfelt. It sounds like "aw, do we have to?". On Christmas Eve, we raise the roof. One night a year, we sing like we mean it. Joy to the World indeed!

I love firing up the oven, it warms the house in more than just the temperature. Sharing good food with my friends or family, those are the best parts of winter. It gives me an excuse to eat more (it's instinct!), and it makes me enjoy a hot, homey meal even more after coming in from the cold. It's like getting a hug inside. I love making all of the sweets and treats associated with the season, the smells of baking is intoxicating, and there's nothing like a simmering pot of soup or stew on a cold day. As I've said in class before, "That's the whole point of it getting cold: so we can make food like this!" To warm the body and the soul.

On various other sites and forums I've waxed rhapsodic about the wonderful miracle that is freshly baked bread, so I'll cut it short here, but it's so very much a healing food, and is such a luxurious staple this time of year.

Yes, winter isn't all warm and fuzzy Christmas-card cliches. The roads are going to be murder, there will be spin-outs and power-outtages (the power outtage last winter was actually kind of fun. Full story on that on my facebook) but we still need to be thankful for what we have, to appreciate the simple pleasures of a Mexican hot chocolate (or an Irish hot chocolate for that matter ;-) ) and buttered toast on a snowy day. Somehow it takes the icy bleakness of the winter to make us savor what small pleasures come our way.

Wishing everyone safe travels and safe returns this weekend.

No comments: