Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Shall I play for you...

As is usual for me at Christmas time, I find myself without much money to spare, so one thing I enjoy doing is taking an active role in the kitchen, making up for the possibly less-than-stellar storebought gifts I hand out. I feel like I've spent a lot of time making soup, that's been a big request around the Stehn household. I made French onion soup on Saturday and tonight, since my mom and I are a little under the weather, I made a healing batch of chicken soup. It was a good opportunity to practice my cuts! I even boned out the thighs and showed my mom that we could stuff them if we wanted (we opted out this time). I love making soup, there's something almost magical about making something so good from what most people throw away (bones=flavor!). I've been using my time at home to teach my mom a few tricks, like how beef stock easily becomes espagnole sauce, which then can become a demi-glace, etc. I improvised a variation of a demi to go with ham last night, by whisking in a tablespoon or so of apricot preserves. It was very good, but I might try adding red pepper flakes next time.

Tomorrow we'll probably make cutout cookies, I might try to find another use for some leftover ganache, so it'll be a good day all around I expect. Since we celebrated Christmas a little early this year, to accommodate my older sister's visit, it feels like it's already come and gone, so I'm going to try to bring a little cheer into the house tomorrow. I just got the idea to make a batch of croissants, which with very little provocation can morph delightfully into pain au chocolat! There's no telling what tomorrow will bring!

Pa-rum-pa-pa-pum :-)

No comments: