Saturday, December 13, 2008

Good to be back

Yesterday I worked for the first time in almost a month. I'd just about forgotten that I had a job! I was almost dreading going back, after such a long hiatus I wasn't sure how I'd slot in again.
For one thing, I'd gotten rather used to spending the entire weekend in my pjs! Any worries about diving back in again were soon dispelled; I whipped up 250 mocha pots de creme in record time, and stayed nicely busy. The day flew by and I was just happy to be back in the kitchen. Even though I work with a few of my classmates, there's a different dynamic when we're all working together. The way we interact is shifted ever-so-slightly, so it makes it feel even less like another day together in the lab. I work again tonight as a server, hopefully that goes all right. If anything remarkable happens I'll be sure to post when I get back. Wish us luck!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I remember coming back to work after a vacation, or some other event. At the Des Moines Club I worked a lot as the rounds cook. I was always coming in after someone's "Friday". Stepping into a drained station can be challenging, but it's what I liked about the job, building mise en place. After a vacation getting that "mental" mise en place can be the toughest part of the day. Once your back in the saddle it all flows like you never were away.

Definitely let us know how your day went! :)