Saturday, January 3, 2009

The Long, Dark Tea-time of the Soul

Break's almost over, I face a long drive back to campus tomorrow and the weather reports aren't helping.
Then last night I found out that the ACF forum's been scrapped. I'm pissed. We'd only just gotten it started. Just before break, it seems, Chef Gordon was signing us all up for it, adding new avatars that impeccably expressed our personalities. I would check the forum a couple times a day to see the news. I'm going to miss that. I wonder if anyone else is upset about this.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'll miss the forum too, however, I could easily see that it was not being used by most of the chapters members. We'll have to follow each others blogs, and make use of the other sites, like FoodBuzz.

It's a shame that other members didn't see the need to share in the forum, but out in the world of restaurants unfortunately there isn't a whole lot of free time in chef's lives to spend enough quality time of their own outside of the kitchen. I remember the last thing I wanted to do after working a 14 hour day during the holidays, was to sit down and contribute to anything but the lives of my family. Maybe the balance wasn't there for the chef's of this chapter.

I'm sad to see it go, but I have time to play with right now. I can't say that after I start working again, that I would have been able to keep up with the forum, along with the reading that I require myself to do to keep fresh ideas in my head for the next menu or special I write. Since it wasn't being used by a lot of members, there was never a buzz, that really would draw people to use it. You can only publicize something so much, before realizing that it just didn't meet the needs of chefs here in Iowa, who spoke simply by not using it.